Monday, August 24, 2009
Chickpea Pizza Recipe (From July 2009 Bon Appetit)
While called a ‘pizza’ in the recipe, I see this more as a flatbread that is a great side dish. I envision it as a replacement for Naan when making Indian food. It’s super easy and very economical. No mixer required and very minimal ingredients. I found Bob’s Red Mill garbanzo bean flour at Whole Foods for less than $2.50.
1 1/3 cups chickpea flour (same as garbanzo bean flour)
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
6 Tablespoons e-v olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
6 Tablespoons parmesan cheese (I left the cheese off of Chris’ pizza)
1. Sift chickpea flour and salt into a large bowl
2. Gradually add 2/3 cup water, whisking until smooth
3. Whisk in the remaining 1 1/3 cups of water and rosemary
4. Let sit for 30 minutes
5. Preaheat broiler. Spray large nonstick broilerproof skillet with nonstick spray. Add 1 T. oil.
6. Heat skillet on stove over medium high heat. Whisk batter and pour half of mix into skillet.
7. Drizzle with 2 T oil. Cook until top is almost set (about 4 min.), piercing bubbles with a knife.
8. Sprinkle with 3 T. cheese and pepper. (Leave cheese off of dairy free pizza)
9. Broil pizza 4 to 5 minutes, until golden. Slide onto platter.
10. Repeat to make second pizza
Tonight I’m going to reheat the leftovers and add pesto and tomatoes. Serve it with a great salad and it’s dinner!